5th Grade Curriculum
In addition to the State Standards, 5th Graders will have the opportunity to explore more in-depth the following units:
- Garage Band/Composing with Garage Band
- West African music and drumming with our variety of Ashiko drums and accompanying instruments
- STOMP- creating original beats in groups using non-traditional sounds from recycled material
- Jazz- History of and connection to West African music as well as styles, 12 Bar Blues, drumset techniques, scatting, swinging rhythms, beat emphasis, and improvising.
- *This year students in conjunction with science will make a one stringed dulcimer and learn to play and/or compose original melodies*